Thursday 27 June 2013

SUGAR KILLS! Read the sorry details of the evils sugar does to the body.

I entered with a wisp of memories coming back to me with a rush. She looked at me blank in the eye. A blank face with an apathetic look, with no fire I once knew. No tale of love that was always new. I waited... Then she turned away. My heart sank. Again, she looked back at me, struggling to pin my face to a name. She tried, I know she really tried...then her face lit up. Then she said it. "Nje Ibramo omo iya Kafaya ko niyi". She said my name. I smiled. Happiness shone through my heart, radiating over my face. She smiled back. Then she was dead again. She is aged. You see, I told myself. Such things are synonymous to old folks. Age amounted to the falling skin, struggling to hang on to her bones like a pendulum on the edge of demise. She looked so sickly with her sunken features. But age wasn't the cause of her sombre dead look. She is also diabetic. That can be treated but already, It had cost her a limb. She couldn't move around, she was dependant
like a child. She was in pain! We shared more words and then again, silence. These were awkward moments I couldn't stand because I couldn't ease her pain. I aptly made my move for escape (sorry I am using this word). You see, she was a happy go lucky chatterbox. Her laughter was a torrent of beautiful throaty chords flowing from a depth. A hearty depth. She was a lively fellow who I remember to be upright, affluent and fashionable. Her predicament had eaten her qualities away. She was bedridden in form and status. Her stumped limb laid lifeless on the sparse bed. I don't want to indulge you into the sad details. You see, her predicament taught me lessons on value. Her story made me realise how rich I was. I may not be rich in gold coins or lofty castles but I realised what wealth have in my health. "Health is wealth", so the saying goes. The rates of diabetes have exploded in the past three decades with an estimated 350 million people in the world now
suffering from the disease, according to new research. Almost every region of the planet has seen a rise in diabetes prevalence or has failed to reduce levels of the disease, a major international study has revealed. The condition, which is the result of poorly controlled sugar levels in the blood can lead to serious compliations such as damage to the kidneys, blindness, nerve damage, heart disease and limb loss. So, are you watching that sugar intake?

No comments:

Post a Comment