Thursday 29 August 2013

Nigerian Idols Winner, Moses' Full Interview With Otinspiration Blog

Away from the hustle and bustle surrounding the release of his three
singles, "Artiste extraordinare" as he calls himself on his Twitter
handle has unmasked the inspiration behind one of his debut
singles..."Love Letter."

Nigerian Idols winner, Moses Obi-Adigwe recently released his
anticipated debut singles, "Love in the air", "Number one" and "Love
Letter" which has been getting a lot of airplays.

In an exclusive interview on the Lekki Peninsula, "Teddy Bear Moses"
as he was fondly called by the Idols judges revealed that each song
came from different situations but more related to his personal
experiences.  
 
How would your friends describe Moses Obi-Asigwe?
 I’ve got my crazy side. I’ve got my nice guy side. I am sure many of them will say I am someone they know. I have always got their back.  I am always there for the people like them.


Inspiration, they say is the soul of music. Music basically revolves round it. As a singer, what influences your music and debut singles?
Well, my music is influenced by different things. But for these songs, i think it was just everything around me and personal experiences in a way... each song came from a different thing.
 ‘’Love in the Air’’ is a happy feely song, and I was in a very giddy mood when I wrote it.
‘’Love Letter’’ was, i had a crush on someone and I just so much thought it would be nice to write her a love letter. It was just me putting myself in that position of being way back in secondary school or primary school. That thing you did. It’s like ’’how do you tell a kid while in primary school, It’s kind of like ‘’I like you, do you like me back?’’ So that was how ‘’Love Letter’’ came about.
Then with “Number One”, i was imagining what it would feel like to be in a very serious relationship. I put myself in such a position where I would imagine what things would come from being in a very serious relationship, falling in love and all that kind of being in a very serious relationship, and number one came about.
In my mind, I could feel the feelings, I could feel the emotions and from that point, I wrote it.

How did music discover you? When did you start singing?
One thing I have always said, I think music has always been had me right from when I was a baby, it has always been a constant thing in my life.
When I was in primary school, secondary school, and children’s choir in the church, youth choir... I have always had music in my life. I always had my friends screaming at me, telling me to shut up that I was making noise while i was doing my thing in one corner of the house, i was always singing along to CDs of Celine Dion and boys to men, i have always had music as a constant thing in my life.

What really helped build it up to clinch you the crown at the Nigerian Idols?
Well, i love diversity. For me, Music is a very pure form of expression, it truly comes from within which can help you process emotions, ideas and thought that words in the English vocabulary cannot perfectly convey. You can hear a song and it can just draw up emotions that the writer and the singer wish to convey through that. So for me, it has always just been that constant thing, a way of pouring out everything I had inside.

Have you ever enrolled into a music school?
No, I have never been to a music school. Not any, not ever.

Do you play a musical instrument?
I don’t, I don’t play any musical instrument. I always wanted to learn but one thing or the other always comes up and i don’t get to learn. But soon, i will learn a musical instrument, maybe a keyboard, a guitar...something sha.

Many musicians out there feel the hype of the beat sells the music. It is what makes the hit tracks.
 What is your opinion of this and how would you describe yourself?

 I think I am a mixture of both. But I am more musical and lyrical than the beat-sy kind of guy. For me, good music helps people to stand out without the instrumentals. Instrumentals are there to accompany, to enhance. But the music, the song has to be there. I think again, there are certain beats that just keeps you going. So I don’t like the idea of over dependency on the beats to carry your songs.
The Nigerian music industry seems to have a great influx of musicians who do a lot of dance hall music than classic easy listening music such as you do.
 Don’t you see that as a challenge to get commercial recognition and have a share of the market audience?
I don’t see myself competing with them. What I see myself doing is carving a niche for me, to stand out as Moses; as me. These guys are good at what they do and they are on top of their game. So, I don’t see myself competing with them. So, i did rather do my own thing and come out on top of my game with something new and different.

What and when was your most embarrassing moment ever?
Away from music, i don’t know oooo. I was hoping up and down after i won and it was a very chaotic moment. It was crazy. After the whole thing, I watched the video and i said to myself ....chai! I have made a fool of myself on that stage ooo. I think that was it. It was a good awesome moment but yeah...
Where do we expect to see Moses in the coming years?
I am aiming for the top. I am aiming for a higher height, taking music and the industry to the next level.

With your tracks making waves among music lovers, do you see yourself as a registered artiste?
I am upcoming ooo. I definitely have a very young foundation but I think when your music becomes a household, until everyone in every street knows you and your music, then you are still up and coming.

The Nigerian music industry has a lot of notable artistes who grace her hall of fame as legends and icons, judging from the Felas’, Mike Okri, Onyeka Onwenu, Tuface and a few more respectable performers. Who do you look up to as a model?
There are a couple of people I respect for different things but I think I am still trying to come out with my own packaging and my own genre.
Each individual has a different path and i am taking mine.
However, I respect Femi Kuti a lot. He is an awesome performer and entertainer who will advise you a lot. He said a lot of wonderful things to me. He is just really, really on point.
I respect Darey because he has maintained his will and integrity throughout the years as a vocalist and entertainer.
Omawunmi has maintained her trained self. Her music is a perfect reflection of who she is. I really, really appreciate her.
And we have Asa, who is doing her thing in her own way and we have no choice but to love it.  You get, so these people rally inspire me to remain true to who I am and what I am headed for.

State six (6) things no one knows about Moses.
Ehm, I don’t know because someone may know one thing that the other next person does not know about me.
·         I have never cried in a movie, even sef I haven’t acted in one or cried because of one.
·         I have written music for a stage production, back in Benin.
·         I used to debate back in school; I was in the debating team.
{Laughing......hmmn...let’s see}.
·         I am not afraid of heights. But i like to climb trees but always have issues climbing down. I always get to the top but find it hard climbing down. Right from when I was a kid, I was always afraid I would step on a branch and it would snap and i would fall down.
·         I have never voted in a governmental election.
·          I have never spent a night in the school hostel.

On you and girls. How do you manage the ones fame has brought to you?
Have you seen Madagascar?
There is this saying that goes, smile and wave boy, smile and wave. That’s the motto. Smile and wave but keep waving. {Laughter}.
But i feel really blessed and glad that people want to be associated, want to know me and come closer.  It’s a really great endorsement from all to what i do, when you have someone want to walk up and say hi....it’s fun having them around.

How has fame changed Moses?
Fame has not changed Moses, but it has changed his life but Moses is still the same person he was a year ago. I try to maintain that. 

Do you plan on doing any collaboration with fellow artistes?
Yeah, that’s definitely in the books, we are trying to look at suitable ones.
We are trying to see who I can merge with and do collaboration. I just did one with Eva and everything worked out so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment